Sunday 30 March 2014

The story, world, characters, and aesthetics

This is the post I will use to write down ideas for the story, world and characters. Once I have fleshed out the main ideas, I am going to read through John Truby's The Anatomy of Story, and see where the story can be improved. I will keep adding to this post until I am completely happy with it.


What emotions/atmosphere do I want the player to experience in the first scene that will be in the style guide:
  • comfort
  • safety
  • happiness
  • peaceful/calm
  • picturesque/unspoiled

What emotions/atmosphere do I want the player to experience in the second scene that will be in the style guide:

  • distress
  • danger
  • sadness/anger
  • chaos/turmoil/disarray
  • hideous/harsh (buildings burning, corpses, etc)


The Main Character:

 I want the main character to be imperfect - I don't want him/her to be really strong from the get-go. This way the player can relate to the character more, as they seem more "human". The player can also bond with the character as he/she develops throughout the story. The main character will have some kind of trust issues that makes it difficult for them to bond with people. This way, when he/she finally does bond with people in the village in the first scene, it will be that much more heart-wrenching when the village is destroyed in the second scene. I intend to build up the feelings of familiarity and safety, and then take a wrecking ball to them!

  • male/female?
  • age: late teens (teenagers have a lot more to learn in life than an older person would)
  • personality? 
  • how does character change throughout the game?
  • physiology - appearance/speech/gestures/where and how they live/age/sexuality/occupation/I.Q/values/attitude/personality/etc
  • psychology - inner pain/weakness/fears/strengths
  • sociology - background/upbringing/how character interacts with story

The World:



The Story:

  • Plot Movement? (Linear, Branching, etc)
  • Before finding the village:
  • Village:
  • Leaving village:
  • Returning to village:
  • After discovering destruction of the village:




No comments:

Post a Comment